At St James Hatcham we understand the importance of English and intend to ensure all of our children:
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, using a range of independent strategies to self-monitor and correct.
- Have an interest in books and read for enjoyment
- Have an interest in words, their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- Understand a range of text types and genres – be able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation.
- Are developing the powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness.
- Have a suitable technical vocabulary to articulate their responses.
- Are ambitiously aware of their journey as learners who celebrate the opportunity to improve.
We teach English throughout the day and through all different subjects however all classes have at least one hour of English learning each day. This will include creative literacy, drama, editing, reading, spelling, phonics and grammar. Additionally, children are read with, and to, throughout the week.
In Reception and Year 1, we use the high quality Ruth Miskin Read, Write Inc. phonics programme for teaching phonics and Literacy. Some children in Years 2 and 3 who require some additional support with their Literacy also take part in the scheme. As our children become more confident readers, we use Destination Reader strategies in whole class reading sessions in order to aid comprehension and support their oracy.
English is important as it helps us broaden our vocabulary and learn more about the world. Being able to learn about different perspectives through discussing texts is my favourite part. Reading is a brilliant way to learn and get information. It’s a chance to escape reality and get really engrosses in a book.
Amilia, Year 6