The Parent Forum seeks to represent the collective voice of Parents and Carers in discussion with the school’s Governing Body and Leadership Team. It will play an active role in influencing, supporting and enhancing the development and learning of all children at St James Hatcham CE School.
How will we do this?
The Parent Forum will:
✔ work closely with the Governing Body and School Leadership team to ensure an open and beneficial dialogue exists
✔ encourage closer links between home and school, helping parents and carers engage with their children’s learning
✔ assist governors, teachers and staff by commenting on new initiatives, drawing attention to areas of concern and contributing to solutions.
✔ enhance communication with and between all members of the school community.
✔ develop and disseminate ideas that improve the life of St James Hatcham CE School
What are the principles guiding the Forum?
You can count on the St James Hatcham Parent Forum to be:
- Collaborative: participating together for the benefit of the school community
- Constructive: helping to identify effective solutions
- Transparent: keeping everyone informed of meetings and their outcomes
- Encouraging: welcoming ideas and initiatives to foster positive ethos
Who can be part of the Forum?
All parents and carers of children attending St James Hatcham CE School and Nursery are welcome to be part of the Forum.
In addition, a representative from the governors and the leadership team has committed to attend each meeting.
What is our relationship with other Bodies?
The table below sets out the role of the main bodies in St James Hatcham School and where the Parent Forum fits in.
|Governing Body||· Main strategic-making body for the school
· Sets the strategic direction of the school
· Oversees financial and legal management of the school
· Appoints the Head Teacher (and can be involved in other staff appointments)
· Agrees the School Improvement Plan and monitors progress
· Responsible for setting key policies (e.g. behaviour & relationships policy, uniform policy), and ensuring they are properly implemented
|School leadership team||· Responsible for the day-to-day running of the school
· Responsible for recruitment of teachers (other than the Head Teacher)
· Staffing issues
· School discipline
· Health and safety
|Parent Forum||· Route through which parents can put their views to the Governing Body & Leadership Team
· Route for the Governing Body and school to consult parents and carers as a group
· Enabling parents to share views and ideas
· Providing support to parents
· Helping parents to support their child
· Enabling parents to get involved in the life of the school
|St James PTA||· Enabling parents and carers to get involved in life in the school
· Organising social events
What will the Parent Forum not do?
The Parent Forum is not a decision-making body. It is a body which can feed in views and represent the parents and carers of issues surrounding the school.
The Parent Forum is also not the place to discuss concerns or complaints involving individual children, families or members of staff.
Why should Parents & Carers take part?
As a parent or carer, being part of the Forum can help you in a number of ways:
✔ Good links between you and the school can improve your child’s/children’s’ enjoyment and chances of doing well.
✔ It gives you an opportunity to get together on a regular basis with other parents to have your say on what the school is doing well, and ideas of how you feel things could be improved.
✔ It can help you get the advice and support to help and encourage your children with their learning
✔ It can break down barriers between the school and parents and improve working relationships
How can Parents & Carers participate?
Parents and carers can participate in a number of ways:
- All are welcome to attend and participate at any Parent Forum meeting
- By taking a role to help promote the Forum and make it work
- By participating in activities and letting either your Parent Forum Year representative or a member of the Parent Forum Committee aware of what their thoughts are relating to St James Hatcham CE School
- By suggesting items to be discussed